Vacancy for Train Planning Placement Scheme
|Job Title:||Train Planning Placement Scheme|
|Location:||Kings Cross, London|
|Hours of Work:||.|
|Job Expires:||20 Jan 2018 at 11:45PM|
About Govia Thameslink Railway
Train Planning Placement Scheme
Govia Thameslink Railway
Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) is the train operating company that operates the franchise responsible for Gatwick Express, Great Northern, Southern and Thameslink services. It’s the largest UK rail franchise in terms of passengers, staff and fleet, conveying 22% of all UK passenger rail journeys and moving 273 million passengers each year.
Govia is a joint venture between the Go-Ahead Group (65%) and Keolis (35%), two substantial and successful transport companies in their own right. Govia currently runs three major rail franchises: GTR, Southeastern and London Midland.
Established in 1987, The Go-Ahead Group has its roots in the North East where it was formed following de-regulation of the bus industry. Ten years later, with rail privatisation, it then joined with Keolis to operate the Thameslink franchise as Govia. It has run Southern since 2001, Southeastern since 2006 and London Midland since 2007. Go-Ahead has a turnover of £2.6 billion and some 23,500 employees. Govia Thameslink Railway itself has 6,500 employees.
GTR’s Undergraduate Placement Scheme is located within the heart of the busy Train Planning Unit and the successful applicants will be part of a team of over 60 planners. Successful candidates will be expected to be functioning and productive members of the team with appropriate training and support. The role is structured to ensure a wide-ranging set of work experiences and varied workload. For example:
- Producing the weekly Special Traffic Notice. This vital operational document fully details short-term variations to the advertised timetable as necessitated by engineering work or special events. It contains essential information required by drivers, station staff and 24-hour controllers.
- Recording the department’s Key Performance Indicators and producing related reports.
- Organising and administrating the Special Events Planning Group.
- Undertaking train planning activities to support the teams.
- Maintaining and developing timetable data to inform the Passenger Information System on board our various Fleets.
Applicants will need:
- To be a registered University student on a transport or logistics related under-graduate sandwich degree programme.
- An understanding of the railway industry, its framework and operation.
- Strong IT skills, specifically Microsoft Excel and Word, with an ability to learn additional specialist techniques and packages as required.
- An ability to self-organise and manage tasks efficiently.
- Analytical skills, initiative and an ability to communicate effectively.
- An accurate, clear, methodical and responsible approach to work.
Ongoing liaison with the applicant’s University and tutorial field visits are encouraged. The successful applicant will participate in all available formal GTR courses and Personal Development Plans, and the Business Excellence and Improvement Manager will conduct all Placement reviews where these are stipulated by the University.
Ideally, a two month overlap will occur with the present incumbents, in order to facilitate workplace familiarisation, a smooth handover and to ease the new post holders into their new role.
The Govia Thameslink Railway Train Planning Unit is located at Kings Cross Station.
The successful applicant will receive £18,500 p.a. plus annual leave and free or reduced travel depending upon location of residence. The contract for the position can last from July 2018 until September 2019.
Consideration of applications for the Train Planning Undergraduate Placement Scheme is led by Toby Kemp, Business Excellence and Improvement Manager. Applications, including a CV and covering letter detailing reasons for the candidate’s particular interest in and suitability for the role, must be received by 13th January 2018. Interviews will occur shortly afterwards.