Vacancy for Engineering Apprenticeship (2019)
|Job Title:||Engineering Apprenticeship (2019)|
Safety Critical - please ensure you read additional information here
|Location:||Various (College – East Surrey College in Redhill & Depots across the network)|
|Hours of Work:||-|
|Job Expires:||31 Mar 2019 at 11:45PM|
About Govia Thameslink Railway
About Govia Thameslink Railway
Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) brings together Gatwick Express, Great Northern, Southern and Thameslink railways. Together we transport more passengers on more trains than anyone else in the country. In 2018, over 22% of all passenger rail journeys in the UK will be taken with us.
We’re investing heavily in the rolling stock, infrastructure and technology on our lines, so we can deliver more. More trains, more seats, more services, more routes, more station improvements, and more information.
Get your engineering career off to a flying start with the UK’s largest train operator. Our four-year Engineering Apprenticeship combines college study with hands-on experience which covers a multitude of tasks ranging from component identification and replacement such as a wheelset, routine maintenance tasks that cover a wide range of electrical, mechanical and electronic parts, faultfinding, and testing systems identifying issues and proving every train is safe and reliable for the thousands of people who travel every day of important, stretching work. And it leads to a UK-recognised trade qualification.
Here’s what you can look forward to:
- A nationally recognised qualification in Railway Engineering
- Great career prospects
- A competitive salary while you learn
If you are interested in becoming a qualified train engineer this is for you. Through college study and on-the-job training, you’ll learn about the mechanics, electrics & electronics on our trains – and how to maintain these valuable pieces of kit.
We operate over 500 trains in the UK. Our fleet includes a variety of electrical and diesel rolling stock. By the end of the apprenticeship you will have attained a range of engineering skills, examining, maintaining mechanical fixings and electrical machinery, faultfinding and complex system testing which will enable you to maintain and repair all of our rolling stock. You'll also have the chance to become a fully qualified Service Engineer at one of our maintenance facilities - potentially earning more than £40,000 per year.
What we look for
We’re not looking for previous knowledge or experience of engineering or the railway – just commitment, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. To apply for an Advanced Apprenticeship, you will however need to:
- hold or expect to get grade 4 or above in GCSE Maths, English and Science (or equivalent)
- pass the required medical standards
- demonstrate strong numerical, verbal and written communication skills
- have an aptitude towards electrical or mechanical engineering
- be able to travel across the network for work and college
GTR is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the UK.
As well as first-class training that will open the door to a great engineering career, all our apprentices receive some big benefits including:
- structured training and development throughout the apprenticeship
- a starting salary of at least £14,000
- performance-related pay based on your reviews
- free travel with GTR companies (Great Northern, Thameslink, Southern and Gatwick Express)
- discounted train travel (for leisure) with other UK and European train operators
- final salary pension with The Railway Pension Scheme
- 24 days’ holiday + bank holidays
- various discounted deals with major retailers
Selection and assessments for these roles will commence in February 2019. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Closing date: 31 March 2019 although we reserve the right to close the role early should suitable applicants be found in advance of this date.